Monday, February 7, 2011

Zesty Tortellini Soup with Sausage.

I had a bunch of food laying around that I needed to use up. I wanted to use as much as possible in one setting as I was worried it was going to go bad. So I was on a mission to find what I had on hand and whip something up that was yummy and used all the ingredients. This is what I came up with!

I found this had a nice balance of flavors and kick. Plus no food will go to waste and I have plenty of leftovers to eat and share. Even my two year old ate her's faster then I did mine!




Ingredients:



















2 tbls Extra virgin olive oil
2 tbls butter
2 small baby zucchini cut in half and sliced
1 medium to large carrot diced
1 large clove of garlic minced
1/4 of a yellow Spanish onion diced
1 small green pepper diced (Jarred roasted red bell pepper would of been much better)
1 small crown of broccoli finely diced
1 large can of diced tomatoes
Italian turkey sausage (I only used three and froze the rest)
1 four cup box of vegetable stock
1 small package of Buitoni spinach pasta
Baby spinach
Dried Oregano to taste
Dried Basil to taste
Dried Parsley taste taste
Red pepper flakes to taste
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions:

1- In your soup pan melt the butter and EEVO. Add in the squash, onion, green pepper, carrot, broccoli and garlic. Saute until veggies are cooked down slightly. Remove half to cool down and then freeze for later usage.



















2- Remove casings from sausage and place in a pan and cook until browned. Cut up and add into veggie mixture.

3- Add in tomatoes, veggie stock and cook for five minutes, add in tortellini and cook. Sprinkle in the dried spices in small amounts and cook for a few minutes, then taste. Repeat until it is seasoned to your tastes.

4- Add in the baby spinach, I used about two hand fulls. Stir and cook until spinach is cooked.



















Sprinkle with some of your favorite cheese and serve with some crusty bread!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment