Thursday, February 3, 2011

I have been converted! Salted Caramel Brownies.

Bye bye brownies from a box, hello scrumptious made from scratch brownies! To die for! I will never EVER buy a boxed brownie again. They were so easy to make too! I am very surprised because this was the third recipe I tried. Third time is the charm!

I was nervous when I started this adventure because I have a slight affinity for brownies. I may or may not be understating that. I was scared that I wouldn't be able to obtain the same level of texture or sweetness. The first two times had indeed proved that adventure to be daunting. The first time I got a cake like bland brownie and I love mine fudgy and sweet. Then the second time I got a gritty bland fudgy brownie. I was about to throw in my towel until I came across this recipe. This is it! This is the one I will be using from now on.

Ingredients:


















For the brownies:
2 tbls of unsalted butter
2 tbls of water
1/2 cup white sugar
14 squares of a good high quality semi sweet chocolate
1 tsp of vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup of flour
1/4 tsp of baking soda
1/2 salt


















For the Caramel topping:
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of milk
2 cups shifted powdered sugar
1 tsp of vanilla (not pictured)
Pinch of kosher salt or sea salt, coarse or flaked.

Directions:

*Preheat oven to 300-325 degrees.

For Brownies:
1- Chop chocolate and set aside.

2- In a medium pot add butter, water and sugar. Melt butter and bring to a medium boil for about a minute. Add in vanilla and chocolate, mix until smooth. Let cool slightly. The mixture should be warm but not warm enough to cook the eggs. Add in the eggs.

3- Once the eggs are well incorporated add in salt, baking soda and flour, mix well. Pour mixture into greased brownie pan and cook until the edges are just pulling away from the side of the pan and knife or tooth pick comes out clean.

For the topping-

* DO NOT MAKE UNTIL BROWNIES ARE DONE AND SLIGHTLY COOL*

1- In medium pot melt butter and brown sugar until you get a medium boil:

2- Add in milk, mix and bring to a medium boil:
3-Remove from heat and mix in the powdered sugar and mix with whisk until smooth and let set for a minute:
4- Poke holes into brownies and pour caramel topping on top, smooth and sprinkle a pinch or two of salt on top.



5- Allow topping to set for ten minutes before you cut!

Enjoy!

* I think next time I make this, I will go a little lighter on the topping as it is very rich!

Let me know what you think!

1 comment: