Monday, October 24, 2011

Rice cooker Mac n cheese AKA "Mmmmmmm..."

You know that little dusty box, sitting some where hidden in your house that you got as a wedding/house warming/birthday/etc gift... You are going to want to go get that NOW. Or you can just buy one tomorrow, first thing in the morning because this is the ultimate comfort for your soul Mac N Cheese.

Ok, I knew I needed to buy one because M's food requires A LOT of rice and I have a lot of time to practice cooking South Asian food. Ironically, I haven't cooked rice in it at all. I've cooked Mac N Cheese in it more times than I can count and no I am not Mac N Cheesed out yet. Over my dead body will that ever happen...

So yes, this idea of cooking MNC in a rice cooker with so few ingredients scared me. But I put on my big girl apron and did it anyways. Now my oven will never see a casserole dish full of MAC. Sorry oven, you just don't do it for me anymore.

Simple, easy and yummy.

Here's what you will need:
16 oz (roughly two cups) of either chicken or vegetable stock.
2 cups of uncooked elbow macaroni
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cups of milk
2 cups of freshly shredded cheese. (DO NOT BUY PRE SHREDDED CHEESE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY! No really don't. It wont melt correctly. PLEASE don't. I used a mix of Monterrey Jack, Provolone and Mozzarella. You can use any combo you'd like.)

Here's how you do it.

1) Add in stock, elbow macaroni and salt and pepper. Cover and switch to cook setting for at least 15 minutes. Stirring about every five minutes.

2) Shred your cheese.

3) When noodles are al dente switch your rice cooker to the "warm" setting, then add in the milk. Then add your cheese in about a third at a time. Folding each batch in until melted making sure to lift from the bottoms and sides. Once all the cheese is in and melted, re-cover.

4) I let mine "cook" on warm stirring often allowing it to thicken and this also keeps the noodles cooking to the bottom of the pan.

5) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment