Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Fabulous Fall Flavors: Spiced Cider Pumpkin Butter!

If you think I took the time to peel, cube, steam and puree an actual uncooked pumpkin to make this, you are crazy! It also helps that Pie Pumpkins haven't hit the stores yet! But this was easy to make and some what time consuming. For the effort, this is really yummy! I actually had to put it back in the fridge because I was eating spoonfuls of the stuff just by it's self!

To me this just screams fall flavors. While it was cooking my house was filled with the smells of a baking pumpkin pie and I was so impatient to taste this! I actually could see using this pumpkin butter in bread, pies and cake! Mmmmm cheese cake with this? Possibly!

This my favorite and my favorite to share with my loved ones!




Ingredients:

1 29-oz can pumpkin puree
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup apple cider ( I used almost a whole cup of cider)
1 1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp of mace or allspice
2 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

Directions:

1- In a medium to large sauce pan, add cider and spices. Heat to a low boil.

2- Add in the pumpkin and sugars. Mix well and reduce heat to low.

3- *WARNING* This will not boil like normal liquids. This will splatter when heated. To avoid burns, cover. When stirring lift lid up just high enough to slide spoon in and keep the lid on. Stir like this once stirred you can remove lid to stir but remember to recover.

4- When it's reduced and thickened, remove from heat. Use clean canning jars or any small containers. I prefer canning jars and I used the small quilted ones, I filled mine to the top but that's because I knew the extra would make the recipients happy! I wouldn't recommend doing so but it's up to you. Fill each jar with 3/4 to one cup of the pumpkin butter WHILE IT'S HOT! This will help the jars to self seal. I ended up with four jars filled to the top.

If you refrigerate this it will last up to a month or so in the fridge or you can freeze up to six months.

It took about 35-40 minutes to go from this:















To this:















I hope you enjoy this!

No comments:

Post a Comment