Monday, January 10, 2011

Triple play chocolate chip cookies.

I figured if I was going to do a sugar detox, I might as well go out with a bang. A chocolate one at that. I love chocolate chip cookies and I find I am insanely picky about them. I find people do not know how to make them. They are either too cake like, to dry or too crisp around the edges. I like mine big, fat and chewy. None of those teaspoon sized cookies. I want that sucker to be at least big as my palm.

If it's going to go to my hips, I think I have a right to make some demands.

I found a recipe I thought sounded good but I could tell there was some issues. I will never claim something is mine unless I had some flash of genius and if your waiting for that, well I suggest you pull up a chair.

But I tweaked it a bit to suit my family's tastes and I think they came out great. I like to add this one ingredient that some over look adding to chocolate. It adds a nice punch and works great with chocolate and the undertones of brown sugar. This ever so fudgy marvel of carb creation is now one of my favorites and too good not to pass on!

Ingredients:

1 cup of room temp unsalted butter
1 cup of white sugar
1/2 cup of of brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper*
1/4 salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup of coco powder
2 cups of flour
1/2 bag of white chocolate chips
1/2 bag of milk chocolate chips

Directions:

1- In a large bowl combine sugars and butter mix until creamed (light and fluffy). Add in one egg at a time. Add in vanilla.

2- In another bowl combine all dry ingredients into bowl except chips. Slowly incorporate into the wet mixture. Mix until well combined, taking time to scrape the sides of the bowl. Fold in the chips.

3- Chill for at least an hour in the fridge.

4- Take dough and roll into about a golf ball size and place on cookie sheet. Cook for five to eight minutes at 350 degrees.* This is your test cookie. This will allow you to see how long you need to cook the cookie for and see how far they spread out.

5- I put six cookies per sheet, you may get more depending on the cookie dough and how much it spread based on the test results. If you test cookie is thin, you either don't have enough flour, enough baking soda or you didn't chill the dough.

6- I take my cookies out when they start to get the crinkles on top. I let them remain on the cookie sheet for two to three minutes. Please do not put them on cookie racks right away or they may become too crisp. If you find yours are crisp, it means you cooked them too long. It's ok if they look undercooked, they will finish cooking on the cookie sheets.

Additional tips:

*Cayenne is totally optional, I love this cookie with and without.

*If you are using dark coated cookie sheets, you will want to cook the cookies either on a lower temp or shorter time. I prefer aluminum cookie sheets.

My cookie monster adores these cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment