Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tex Mex Pasta! FAM Week one.

As you have read before, I am single mom of four beautiful girls and I am full time student! Now with my schedule, I usually wont get home until it's too late to get dinner started. Usually the girls have been fed at Grandpa's but it leaves me with nadda.

I wont lie, at that time, I am beat. I've been at school all day and had an intense workout. I have found that I have been turning to easy bad for you foods. Foods that aren't on my diet and foods I justify eating because I am too tired to cook. I knew if I didn't change how I eat, every thing I will be doing will be for nothing.

So I figured why not make freeze ahead meals? So that my freezer is stocked with portion sized meals. All I gotta do is grab and reheat and I don't have to worry about cooking or eating food that isn't good for me.

FAM (Freeze Ahead Meal) week one is Tex Mex Pasta. This is perfect for lunches or even a family meal if you choose not to freeze it. It's too good not to share. I also found it rather easy to make as well.

Ingredients:

Whole wheat pasta
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1/2 bag of frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 small of green chilies
1 small red onion or 1/4 of a large onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 can of petite diced tomatoes
1 tsp of coconut oil or EEVO
2 tbl of chili powder
1 tsp of cumin

Directions:

1- In a pot add 75% of the pasta to slightly salted water and cook until dente. Drain and set aside.

2- In a skillet heat oil add in onions cook until slightly translucent. Once translucent add in garlic, tomatoes, corn, green chilies and black beans. Mix in chili powder and cumin, cook until thickened.

3- Toss pasta with the sauce you just made. Top with your favorite garnishes.

I am going to freeze a few cup to two cup portions. So that I have easy to grab and go meals. Enjoy! Let me know if you like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment