Thursday, May 24, 2012

Rice Cooker Chicken and Rice "Teri-Waki."

Ok, so my three year old mispronounces things A LOT. Throw in words that have "F's" and "K's" and it's all  hilarious until someone rolls their eyes at you... Party poopers.

Originally, I had planned on making egg rolls tonight for dinner but instead I ended up with hundreds of little surprises in the head of nappa cabbage. Aphids. Not exactly who I wanted to invite to dinner. So nothing was thawed and there was no way I wanted grilled cheese, again. So quick search was on and I honestly make this three if not more times a month because it's super yummy. But this is the first time I've written down the recipe and shared it!

You can make this on the stove top just like you would normally, I used my rice cooker because it's no fuss. I just throw everything in there and set a timer and stir one or twice and it's that simple. But I have made this on the stove even with instant rice.

I know... I know... less words and more directions and ohhh pictures...





Ingredients:

1 cup rice (if you use instant go by the directions on the box and I don't recommend it's use in a rice cooker)
2 cups water
1/3 chopped match stick carrots or 2/3 cups of small diced carrots (frozen is fine)
2/3 cups of frozen sweet peas
1/3 cup of Teriyaki sauce (I am a strict House of Tsang Korean Teriyak Stir Fry Sauce user)
1 12.5 oz can of drained cooked chicken, I broke the chunks into strands while in the can. (I used an organic brand... I threw away the can before I could get the name.)

1 cup of water on reserve in case rice is uncooked towards the end, I find this to be an issue with the brand of rice cooker that I own.

1/2 cup of teriyaki sauce to add in once rice is done cooking.

Directions:

1. Rinse the rice two to three times in a bowl of water until water is clear. DO NOT rinse if you are using instant.
2. Add in rice, water, veggies, 1/3 cup of teriyak sauce and your canned chicken. You can follow the directions on the bag, box or what your rice cooker calls for. In my rice cooker it takes about 30-40 mins to cook. Stir once or twice and continue cooking until rice is cooked through. I find that about after 15-20 minutes I have to add in extra water and continue to cook but I am fairly certain that's my rice cookers fault.
3. Add in the remaining 1/2 cup of teriyaki sauce and stir, let it warm up a little and it's finished!



You can mix in a small can of chopped water chestnuts, frozen broccoli, chopped mushrooms, green onions/scallions, peppers,etc!

This also makes awesome left overs and freezes well!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment